Family Sponsorship

If you are a family member who is living, studying and working in Canada, you are able to sponsor a family member to become a permanent resident. You must be at least 18 years old to sponsor a family member. You must also meet the following criteria:

  • A citizen of Canada

  • Indian registered in Canada under the Canadian Indian Act 

  • Canada's permanent resident 


Sponsor your Spouse, Partner or Children: 

Current Canadian immigration law allows you to sponsor your spouse or partner under the condition that you have been living together for more than two years. Assuming this condition has been met a Canadian resident can sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner or their dependent child. 

Please note, the relationship described in the sponsorship must be genuine and is subject to review. If the relationship is found to be fake, the sponsorship will likely be voided. 

If you are sponsoring your spouse, both of you must live together in Canada and your spouse must be qualified to receive an open work permit effectively allowing them to work in Canada. 

Sponsoring a Dependent Child:

There are several requirements of sponsoring a dependent child for residence in Canada. One of the main restrictions required for sponsoring a dependent is that the children must be under the age of 22. The person sponsoring the dependent child must prove their financial ability to care for the child and will also require proof that they provided financial aid for the child before they reached the 22-year old threshold. A completed application must be submitted for each dependent child. 

Sponsoring Relatives:

Aside from the necessary prerequisites, you are allowed to sponsor your parents or grandparents to come and live with you as a permanent resident in Canada. The primary requisite for sponsorship is proving how you are able to financial support this person(s). You must also prove that the sponsored person will not require any form of assistance from the Canadian government. 

To sponsor your relative, submit an online application. The IRCC accepts, reviews, checks for duplicates and then randomly selects a specific number of applications with an invitation to apply (ITA). 

You can sponsor an orphaned or close relative who is under 18 and unmarried. To sponsor this orphan or close relative you must be associated by blood or adoption. Some examples you’re your siblings, nephews, nieces or grandchildren. 

Other relatives: You can sponsor a relative of any age related to you by blood or legal adoption. If you don't have a living relative, you can sponsor a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle or aunt, nephew or niece. It is important to note that these relatives should not already be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.